Friday, June 8, 2007

Show & Tell Friday

Kelli's Show & Tell of her great book find made me look at my book collection. I love to collect old books, Dick & Jane books, vintage cookbooks and vintage children's books.


I love this book, found it in Goodwill for .25.


Good Housekeeping Book of Menus, Recipes and Household Discoveries

Printed in 1922. It's facinating reading recipes from 1922 and prior and the household discoveries are a hoot!!




Here is a yummy sounding recipe from the book:

Candied Yams

3 medium sized sweet potatoes

1 to 1 1/2 cupfuls sirup from canned peaches

2 tablespoons margarin

Boil the potatoes until nearly tender. Peel and slice lengthwise. Lay in a shallow pan, preferable glass or earthenware, pour oven them the juice and add dots of margarin. Bake for thirty minutes in a 400 F oven. Raise the heat to brown or brown under the broiler flame.


14 comments:

charish said...

I love good bargain. I will add your link to my blog. Hope to be blog friends.
Sarah

Kelli said...

This looks like a great book full of interesting things! Thank you for sharing it with us!
Kelli

LBP said...

WOW! You got a great deal. I collect cookbooks and don't have that one. I love to read the recipes in them.

Linda

Susan said...

I love old cookbooks. Lots of references to "lard"!!!
Susan

Susan said...

P. S. Thanks for signing my Guest Book!!
Susan

Lana G! said...

You go with your Good Will self! You and my sister with the GW finds. Sheesh - 25 cents - That is fabulous.

Lana G!
http://airmiles.wordpress.com/

ellen b. said...

Nice...I love Goodwill treasures.
Blessings
http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/

Unknown said...

I love vintage books! Enjoy! Hey maybe you can post a recipe or two from it?

Sharon said...

I love old cookbooks! In fact, I like a good deal on an old cookbook even better!

Amber said...

What a wonderful find. I love old cookbooks!

Julieann said...

What a wonderful find Debbie!!!

Julieann:)

Myrna said...

Old recipes are so interesting!

I don't believe I have been to your blog before. I have enjoyed ooking around. You have a lovely family. I will be back to visit again!

Lyndy said...

What an interesting book. I love cookbooks.

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
Lyndy

Sondra said...

MMMMM! The peaches sound GREAT! I make a simmer recipe with canned apple pie filling, but now I'm wanting to try peaches! What a wonderful book! (((((HUGS))))) sandi